Friday, September 11, 2009

Where were you?

Have you ever asked that question? "Where were you when (famous day in history) happened?"
One time we had that conversation with a group of people that told where they were at Pearl Harbor, John F. Kennedy's assassination, September 11, and a few other dates in history.

On September 11, 2001 I was a Senior at BJU. I was walking to my 9:30 class via the Snack Shop in the Student Center. As I entered the Snack Shop, I saw many students watching the TV. First thought "A video". I decided I didn't need the coffee or donut that I was planning to get and looked at the screen. I saw a plane heading towards a tall building. I had no idea what building it was. I still was thinking that this was a new video that had just come out. I turned around and heading out of the snack shop. It was approx. 9:15 and I headed for class. I made my way to the gym (I was a Health, Fitness, Recreation Major) without meeting up with anyone (or anyone who knew what was going on). As I walked down the hallway to the classroom my teacher came out of the classroom and said "America is under Terrorist attack". As a good student, I didn't believe him. He said "listen to the radio". I did and I realized he was right. I don't remember how that class went but later on that day my 3:00pm class was State and Local Government. In this class, we dropped everything and talked about what this attack meant for our country's.
I heard about many people who for one reason or another did not make it to work and that saved their life. But others, many others went to work and lost their life. One thing to think about is that this day might be the last day you can do something for Jesus. This day might be the last time you say "I love you" to someone.

Well, so "Where were you...?"

1 comment:

sarah said...

I was in Basic Harmony my freshman year, when Dr. Mark Parker poked his head in the door and told us some of what was going on. At that time, they were saying they were worried about the White House, and the girl sitting next to me said that her dad was in the White House for some sort of AACS meeting.