Thursday, February 09, 2006

surprises and prayer request

I have and will have worked practically every day this week. The only day I didn't work was Wednesday.
Anyway, I was very much surprised to read a comment to a trip to Greenville. In that post I had said that Jesse and I sang "100 Bottles of Coke on the Wall". I read the 2nd comment which said "You didn't sing 17 labels on the greasecutter bottle?? =)"
I sat there thinking "Now who knows about that incident?"

When I worked in the Dining Comman at BJU we would use greasecutter - umm for cutting grease, clarification if you couldn't figure it out. Well, one day after we had used up a bottle of greasecutter I started to peal off the label. One label came off (as normal) but there was still a label on the bottle. We all stopped our work as I one by one took off all 17 labels that was on this ONE bottle. Hence "17 labels on the greasecutter bottle."
I clicked on the name Sarah and looked at her blog profile. And "wow" (I would like to use a French word here but don't know how to write it - I could pronounce it but it wouldn't help any right now) it happened to be a friend from BJU. Actually I have added her to my list of blogs because I am now going to be reading her blog. Thank you Sarah for finding me. (How did you do that?)

Well, my next surprise came from my wonderful husband. He is on this paper airplane crave right now. I have finally learned to "throw" a paper airplane, well, the type that he makes. There are two ways to "throw" things like balls and such. One way to throw a ball is the "non athlete style" and the other way is the "athlete style". These are politically correct ways of saying "he/she throws like a boy/girl". A while back Jesse handed me a paper airplane to throw. It went straight up and then swirl - crash landing practically behind me. Jesse threw the paper airplane and it went straight as an arrow across the room. I watched how he did it a few times and then tried it myself again. Then I told him I knew why I couldn't throw the paper airplane. The reason: I throw the airplane like an athlete but he throws it as a non athlete. But you see if you consider that airplane throwing is an athletic sport then in a sense I would be the one throwing like a non athlete because I would be throwing it wrong. Confusing! So back to the topic that lays dormant about 12 or so sentences ago: When Jesse and I got home today from work he told me "I have a surprise for you". The surprise: A paper airplane. But this one is a paper airplane that I can throw - my way!! So now I don't have to get a kink in my wrist by making sure I don't "snap" it when I throw the airplane, nor do I have to make sure that my elbow is pinned to my side so that the airplane will fly "correctly" and not swirl down to the ground behind me. I was standing a few feet from the top of the stairs and threw the airplane. I threw it at an angle and it hit the wall above the stairs. It then bounced off the wall and flipped. Then it glided all the way down the stairs (a few feet above them, mind you) and landed around the corner in the living room. Wow, what an airplane. All the others would have possibly just crash landed at the top of the stairs.

Ok, now the prayer request. I have a friend from church by the name of Kim. Please pray for her as she found out that she has cancer. She has 3 kids all younger than 10 I believe.

2 comments:

sarah said...

I couldn't resist the 17 labels comment. We sure had some fun times in the linen room, and we even got some work done. try the French word, it would be interesting. You're welcome for finding you. Actually, when I sent my updated contact info out over email, you emailed back and mentioned your blog, but I had not seen it again until I saw it on bjubloggers.

Annecourager said...

maybe I should scoot over to bjubloggers and see if anyone's there from MY generation!

I will pray for your friend Kim. I can't imagine going through that; her kids are around my kids' age.