Thursday, June 19, 2008

Happy Birthday

Today I was thinking about how when it is your birthday everyone calls you up wishing you a happy birthday. It is like if you've done something grand and glorious that deserves recognition. Honestly, the "birthday kid" has not done much or anything to receive this recognition except to live another year. You receive presents and cards celebrating this momentous event which means you are a year older, have a little more know-how, and are taller (whichever way it is at that particular time of your life).
But honestly, I think instead of receiving all these wondrous wishes and gifts you should pause and

1. give thanks to God that He allowed you to live this extra year

and

2. give a big thank you to your mother for the labor and pain she went through bringing you into the world, for all the tears and worries you put her through while growing up, and for all the love and tenderness she gave you when you needed it.

Thank you God

and Thank you Mom

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

was it your birthday yesterday? if so, happy birthday. I'm not big on celebrating my birthday, but I wondered if they started this because at one time making it to the age of 5 was a big feat. Now we have so many protections and doctors it is a lot easier.

Corene said...

Yes it was my birthday yesterday.